Installing Windows Deployment Services on Server 2008 R2 for PXE Boot
May 23, 2010
Personal notes for performing this to install Windows 7 on a Toshiba R100, which has no DVD drive nor the ability to boot from USB. These notes apply ONLY to Server 2008 R2, I believe some extra steps are required for 2008 R1 (which I haven’t tried, sorry)
- Install WDS on a machine that is NOT hosting DHCP server. I used the DHCP on my router, which worked fine.
- Download and install Windows Automated Install Toolkit (Windows AIK) ISO
- Create a WinPE image using “copype x86 <dir>” for 32-bit, or “copype x64 <dir>” for 64-bit
- Install the resulting boot image in the WDS install.
- Boot your target machine, ensuring that it’s set to boot from PXE
- Should now boot in to Windows PE – from here you can map a drive to a copy of the Windows 7 ISO/DVD, shared on another machine:
net use Y: \\machine\share
- CD to the Y: drive and run setup.exe